The Sanitation Department  is responsible for the collection and transport of all municipal solid waste (MSW) from residents and commercial businesses within the City limits. As defined by the Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality, MSW is solid waste resulting from or incidental to residential, community, trade or business activities, including garbage, rubbish, ashes, street sweepings, dead animals, tires, abandoned automobiles and all other solid waste other than industrial or hazardous waste. Because of the type of vehicles used for collection, the City of Riverton has further defined what type of MSW can be placed in the containers.

The 2022 Calendar  includes all sanitation, recycling, yard waste and Holiday schedules. Any changes in this schedule will be posted on this website as well as cable Channel 191.

The City has defined the type of MSW it will take in City Code 8.12.010. Garbage and rubbish will be collected by the Sanitation Department in City-supplied containers. Once the garbage is collected, it is then transported to the Fremont County Solid Waste Disposal District's (FCSWDD) facilities. The FCSWDD's facilities most used by the City are the Riverton Baler, located near the intersection of East Park Avenue and Smith Road, and the Sand Draw landfill, located approximately 10 miles southeast of Riverton.

Click here for the current Residential Sanitation Route Map.

Recycling in Fremont County is the combined effort of the FCSWDD, Community Entry Services (CES), the City of Riverton, and several private businesses. The FCSWDD allows the use of their facilities for the collections, sorting, baling and storage of the recyclables. The FCSWDD also helps with the transportation to the recycling vendor. CES oversees the collection and sorting of the recycles. Because of these efforts, sometimes there are changes to the programs offered by the City that are not under the City's control.

The City has a curbside recycling program that is free to residents. To sign up, click here or contact the Recycling Hotline at 307-857-7744. Please click here for a list of acceptable items.  Recyclable items can also be taken to the Baler (Fremont County Solid Waste Disposal District) on Smith Road. Hours of operation at the Baler are Tues.-Sat., 8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Yard Waste
The City currently collects organic yard waste in designated containers from all City residents from April until mid-November. Organic yard waste includes leaves, grass clippings, wood waste less than 3 inches in diameter and garden waste.

Compost and wood chips can be obtained at the FCSWDD Bale Station. Click here for the current price list.

For more information on any of these services, please contact the Public Works Department at 307-856-3687 or email Krista Ramage, Public Works Secretary at

social feed