Planning & Zoning
307-856-9129 Phone
307-857-7470 Fax


If certain requirements of the Zoning Ordinance deprive the property owner “reasonable use of the land or building” because of special circumstances or conditions which are peculiar to the land or building, then the property owner may apply for a variance (Chapter 17 of the Riverton Municipal Code).

All requests for a variance must include a completed Application with original signature of the property owner, proof of ownership, and $160 non-refundable application fee.

All applications must be submitted at least 30 days prior to a scheduled Board of Adjustment public hearing. The property owners within a 140’ radius will be notified by mail and invited to make comments on the petition. A public hearing notice for the variance will be posted in the newspaper and a sign will be posted on the property with the public hearing information. If the Board of Adjustment decides there is a “hardship” related to the land or buildings, they will approve the Variance. If a “hardship” cannot be proven, they will deny the Variance.

Please contact the Community Development Department to answer any questions relating to zoning or land use.

Variance Application 

social feed