Public Works

  • Home
  • Departments
  • Services

Recycling FAQ

Recycling Questions and Answers

What items are recyclable?

# 1 Plastic bottles #2 plastic bottles, other plastics, glass, tin/steel, aluminum, mixed paper. Please see the brochure.

When are my recyclables picked up?

Please see the curbside recycling map.

What are the Yard Waste hours?

The Yard Waste facility is open during the summer 7 days a week from 8 am to 5 pm. During the winter, please contact the Public Works Department at 856-3687 for an appointment.

What day is my yard waste picked up?

Please see the yard waste map.

Where do my recyclables go?

The City takes the paper, plastics, and cardboard to CES. The glass goes to FCSWDD and the aluminum and steel/tin cans go to Federal Auto for recycling.

The items that are acceptable in recycling have changed. Why is that?

The FCSWDD and CES contract with the vendor who accepts the recyclables. Sometimes, with new  have contracted with a different vendor who accepts different items.

What other things can I recycle in Riverton?

Please see the FCSWDD web site,, for more information on recycling.

I know compact fluorescent lights contain hazardous substances and should be recycled. Where can I properly dispose of them?

If an item is not listed on the FCSWDD's web site, please visit for more information on recycling opportunities for these items.

What can I put in the neighborhood yard waste container?

The yard waste is only for lawn trimmings, garden scraps, tree trimming less than 2" and sized to fit fully in the container. Please do not put sod, rocks, or dirt in the containers.